Tasks and opportunities:
● Promote our key health promotion messages through social
● media platforms and in person
● Support submissions and petitions
● Speak at events from time to time
● Engage with a wide range of community groups
● Share our campaigns on social media or through local media
● Engage with local politicians and decision makers
Who are we looking for?
● We want people who are passionate about advocating for the health and wellbeing of New Zealanders.
● You will need great communication and interpersonal skills with a willingness to learn.
● Advocates need to have a good level of physical fitness and mobility, and a solid understanding of social media platforms.
Each Health Promotion Advocate will be paired with a Cancer Society Health Promotion Team member for mentorship and regular support. Health Promotion Advocates will also be set up in pairs or small teams for peer support.
Health Promotion Advocates will receive two training sessions (1-2 days in total). These will include generalised training about the Cancer Society and our mission, as well as in-depth training around our key health promotion messages and advocacy approaches. Additional training will be provided as required.
● An opportunity to advocate for the health and wellbeing of people in Aotearoa
● Contribute to current campaigns
● Develop confidence in communication and advocacy skills
● Gain real-life experience in the Health Promotion sector
● Receive mentoring and support from our Health Promotion Team
● Job refereneces provided for career
The Cancer Society has a smokefree and vapefree requirement for all staff which includes Volunteers and Advocates. This means no
smoking or vaping on the job, at or driving to and from events, in Cancer Society vehicles or branded clothing.
✅ Volunteers will need to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 for this role.
The hours of this role will vary and are able to be negotiated with Health Promotion Advocates on a case-by-case basis depending on what is required and how much time you have to give.
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below. We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Health & Medical