A Co-Volunteer partners with a person who lives with a disability or mental illness to form a support partnership. The purpose of the Co-Volunteer is to work alongside the client and assist in the adjustment into a volunteer role.
The Co-Volunteer is a part of the Volunteer Marlborough team.
The aim is to achieve a partnership that is respectful, and which produces a positive volunteering experience for the Co-Volunteer and the client, while also meeting the needs of the organisation.
It may be possible that the role of the Co-Volunteer decreases in the support relationship as the client develops in their volunteering role. This should be seen as a good outcome.
Volunteer Marlborough is aware that there are a significant number of people living in the Marlborough region who experience challenges in finding paid or volunteer work. These challenges frequently stem from a disability which could be physical, mental, or sensory. It is not uncommon for a person to experience a combination of the above.
The outcome for the person is that their participation in the community is dramatically reduced with diminished social connection. Disabled people often experience a loss in a sense of autonomy and are at high risk of social isolation.
This programme aims to grow volunteering amongst those living in the Marlborough region who are disabled or living with a mental illness, and to achieve the following objectives for the volunteer.
• Promote community participation
• Reduce the risk of social isolation
• Allow for a greater sense of autonomy for the person
The requirements for the Co-Volunteer are:
• An interest in working with people with a range of disabilities
• A desire for an inclusive society
• An awareness of the rights of the disabled person
• A willingness to develop a working relationship with the client and the organisation
• The ability to identify a barrier and to take the necessary steps to remove it
• To have a satisfactory safety screening (police vetting)
Must be 16 or over
Hours will vary, depending on position
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below. We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.